NSC Coaching Toolbox
Needham Soccer Club’s “coaching toolbox” is a library of coaching resources intended to help our coaches both continue their informal education of the game, as well as provide more insight into the culture we strive to create for our players at every level of our club.
The bulleted questions below each link provide some insight into what you can expect to be addressed within each document. As coaches it is important that we ask questions of our players and ourselves! Don’t just give orders (answers)! We should look to create an environment that encourages players to think for themselves and be creative in their solutions.
NSC Approach to Coach!
- What does it mean to be a coach?
- What are my responsibilities?
- What phase of development our my players in?
- How do I structure a practice and break up the time?
- How do I create the right environment for my players?
NSC Ball Mastery Matrix
- Which specific ball mastery moves should I focus on for my players?
- At what age should we teach/provide specific names to moves?
NSC Language Doc
- Talk the Talk
- What’s the soccer specific language I should be using with my players?
- Using the right language is vitally important to creating players who will be able to adapt to different coaches and understand the nuances of the beautiful game.
NSC Practice Planner
- What’s the main “focus” or “topic” for my session?
- What do I want to accomplish/what is my goal?
- How do I plan my coaching points accordingly?
- How long should each activity be?
- Can I relate what we are doing in practice to a situation that happens in the game?
NSC Practice Planner Explained
Practice Planner Ex. Attacking Session
NSC Practice Reflection
- How well did I do in executing my plans?
- Did I communicate my coaching points well?
- Should I adjust part or all of an activity I used?
- Was I effective?
NSC Game Planner
- How do I want to Start?
- When do I rotate players?
- What is our focus for this game? Beyond winning!! Can we connect 5 or more passes in a row? Can we play quick? Can we encourage our teammates to play the way we are facing? Can we use the goal keeper to help us build out of the back?
NSC Game Reflection
- What were my coaching points?
- How did I communicate them?
- What did I do well?
- What do I need to be more aware of in the future?
NSC Coaches – Player Evaluation Form
- Evaluation Form Coaches will be expected to fill out for each of their players and hand in to the Club for Tryouts.
- Coaches Who will be selecting the next Travel teams will use these evaluations, along with tryout evaluations, when selecting their teams.
INSTRUCTIONS FOR Player Evaluation Form
It is our hope that every coach will use these links and resources to help build a plan for the season, set goals and expectations for our players, gain confidence in their role as coach, understand club expectations and ultimately provide a better overall experience for our players!