| NSCJA Rules
Special Rules for the Junior Academy 4v4 Format
- The Field of Play
- Each team will set up and breakdown their goal for each game
- Players an coaches will stand on one sideline, parents on the opposite sideline
- Player Equipment
- Every participant must have shin guards
- We recommend soccer socks, as they are high enough to cover the shin guard
- Running shoes or cleats are acceptable
- Reversible jerseys are provided to be used for multiple seasons
- Please bring water to each session
- Coaches will have a limited number of size 3 balls. Players are encouraged to bring their own size 3 ball.
- Number of Players and Substitutions
- Each team will ideally have have four players on the field at a time; fewer players is better, but five is acceptable if required
- Substitutions may be done on the fly
- Coaches are encouraged to rotate players as necessary and appropriate
- Each player should play at least half of each game
- There will be no goalies
- One coach from each team is encouraged to stay on the side of the playing field to support players and act as time-keepers
- Duration of the game
- All games will consist of a 20 minute practice period followed by a 40 minute game, totalling 1 hour
- Start of Game
- Play will start with a kickoff at center field
- Opposing players must be at least five yards away from the ball at kick-off
- kick-off will also be used after a goal is scored
- Ball in and out of play
- 1st grade division
- Coaches will roll the ball back into play without adversely affecting either team.
- The roll in may favor a weaker team or player for developmental purposes.
- Corner kicks and Goal Kicks will not be played
- 2nd grade division
- If the ball goes out of the field of play over the side line the ball will be put back into play by a player using a kick/pass in
- If a ball goes out of play over the end line the ball will be put back into player by either a corner kick or goal kick.
- When a goal kick is taken the opposing team will retreat to beyond midfield until the ball is put back into play.
- Parents should sit/stand on just one side of the field, opposite the teams and coaches, remain off the field, and no interfere with play
- Parents may retrieve a ball that goes out of bounds, but may not put the ball back into play
- General Rules
- Players and parents should conduct themselves properly at all times
- Final scores will not be recorded
- Fouls, Free Kicks, Offside Rule will not be used but coaches will be mindful of dangerous play
- Teams should shake hands at the end of each game and say a cheer for their opponents