About Travel Team Soccer
- The commitment for travel team soccer this fall includes attendance at 2 practices a week plus 5 home and 5 away games. Practices are on weekdays and games are on Saturdays.
- Full participation for the year is expected (Fall and Spring BAYS seasons as well as some winter training).
- Our club policy is to have 2 travel teams of each gender for U10, U11 and U12 age groups. ALL U13 & U14 players (7th and 8th graders) are mixed onto U14 BAYS travel teams.
- Anyone NOT selected for a travel team will be notified via email and transferred into our non-travel program and placed on a NSCCL team.
- Players are ranked based on tryout results conducted by the professional trainers, the written Needham Soccer Club evaluation submitted by your current coach, player history, verbal input from coaches in a round table discussion. These selection meetings are monitored by NSC Board Members.
- 8v8 teams will have no less than 13 players and nor more than 15.
- 11v11 teams will have no less than 17 players and should have no more than 22.
Team Selection Objectives
The primary objectives with team selection and player placement include:
- Every player shall be given the opportunity to tryout.
- No player is guaranteed a position on a travel team.
- The team will be newly selected each June for the following Fall & Spring seasons.
- Tryouts are not mandatory and only players interested in playing on a travel team need attend.
- Every player interested in playing on a travel team MUST be registered online for FALL soccer and select travel program when registering.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ’s
- How are travel teams selected? The tryout data and the written coach’s evaluations are used at the travel team selection meetings as well as player's history and input from coaches present.
- Who picks the travel teams? Prior to the team selection meeting, volunteers must register to coach. All coaches are invited to the selection meeting to participate in an open forum. The first coach on the approved coaches slate picks the first team; the second coach on the list picks the second team. Every player on the list is discussed before the final rosters are selected.
- How are coaches chosen? The coach’s selection committee uses many criteria in selecting coaches: coaching experience, coaching licenses held, coaching clinics attended, playing experience, service to the Club, etc.
- Can the coach who is selecting the team pick anyone? No – he/she must use the metrics provided via the tryout data and the coach’s evaluations. Any coach at the meeting may make a recommendation as to who should be placed on what team. The Girls and Boys Directors have veto power over any selection if they feel that the choice is not justified based on the data provided.
- Are there exceptions to that policy? Yes, if a player missed the tryout, is know to the coaches, then we use coaches written evaluations and verbal feedback from other coaches in that player’s age group to place that player accordingly.
- Why are there no U9 tryouts in the Spring? There are no U9 travel teams in the Fall. We assign rising Junior Academy players and other players entering Needham Soccer Club randomly onto Fall NSCCL teams. We select one U9 team of each gender for the spring BAYS season.