The Needham Soccer tryouts for fall TRAVEL teams will be held on Saturday, May 21st at the DeFazio Field Turf.
- Boys entering 4th grade in Fall - 8AM-9AM
- Boys entering 5th grade in Fall - 9:15AM-10:15AM
- Boys entering 6th grade in Fall - 10:30AM - 11:30AM
- Girls entering 4th grade in Fall - 11:45AM-12:45PM
- Girls entering 6th grade in Fall - 2PM - 3PM
- Girls entering 5th grade in Fall - 3:30PM-4:30PM
- Girls entering 7th and 8th grade in Fall - 5PM-6:30PM
- Boys entering 7th and 8th grade in Fall - 7PM-8:30PM
**The majority of our program is non-travel, but we will select 2 Boys and 2 Girls teams of U10, U11, U12 age group to participate in the BAYS travel league in the Fall 2016 season** All 7th and 8th graders are placed onto travel teams.
- Online registration for the FALL 2016 season is from Monday, May 2nd until Friday, June 3rd
- If you plan to tryout for a TRAVEL team, register online between May 2nd until May 16th
- Tryouts are open to all players interested in playing on a travel team and are not mandatory. Only players interested in a travel team should attend tryouts.
- Players please arrive 10 minutes before the scheduled time to check-in. Wear cleats and shinguards, bring a soccer ball and a drink and please dress appropriately for weather - layers are best.
- Players will be asked to complete a series of drills and demonstrate skills that they are familiar with and that are age appropriate. They will be evaluated by experienced professional trainers.
Coaches Information & Registration
- Coaches interested in being considered to coach a travel team must be registered online by Thursday, May 12th
- Be sure to update your coach profile as the information in that profile is what is used when slating the travel team coach applicants. Enter any recent coaches courses completed , licenses, etc.
- The NSC coaches selection committee will meet to review all applications and slate coaches for all travel teams in accordance with NSC By-Laws.
- The club will notify the slated coaches prior to tryouts and invite them to observe the tryouts.
Player Tryout Information
- All players should check-in 10 minutes prior to their scheduled tryout time.
- Bring a soccer ball and a water, wear shin guards (mandatory) and cleats.
- Only WATER is allowed on the turf fields. No gum, no dogs, no food.
- Do not wear any type of NSCCL, BAYS or club jerseys to tryouts.
- No jewelry or earrings.
- Before heading to the fields, always check the Needham Soccer Club website for updates and cancellations.
- Players will be asked to complete a series of drills and demonstrate age appropriate skills that they are familiar with. They will be evaluated by experienced professional trainers.
Additional Tryout Information
- There is no tryout "makeup date". If you are unable to attend tryouts, contact your coach and the Soccer Office at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- All parents are asked to stay in the pavilion area so as not to interfere with the tryout process. No cheering or coaching, talking or gesturing.
- Pre-approved coaches may be present during tryouts to silently observe the players.
- Tryouts are one of the ways in which NSC gathers information to be used for placement on travel teams. Tryouts are not mandatory but are recommended.
- If you aren't interested in the travel soccer program, you do not need to attend tryouts. Players not selected for the travel team, will be placed onto a NSCCL (Champions League) team
- A player MUST be registered online by May 16th and fees paid for spring soccer in order to attend tryouts.
About Travel Team Soccer
- The commitment for travel team soccer this fall includes attendance at 2 practices a week plus 5 home and 5 away games. Practices are on weekdays and games are on Saturdays.
- Full participation for the year is expected (Fall and Spring BAYS seasons as well as some winter training).
- Our club policy is to have 2 travel teams of each gender for U10 (4th grade), U11 (5th grade) and U12 (6th grade) age groups. ALL U13 & U14 players (7th and 8th graders) are mixed onto U14 BAYS travel teams.
- Anyone NOT selected for a travel team will be notified via email and transferred into our non-travel program and placed on a NSCCL team.
- Players are ranked based on tryout results conducted by the professional trainers, the written Needham Soccer Club evaluation submitted by your current coach, player history, verbal input from coaches in a round table discussion. These selection meetings are monitored by NSC Board Members.
- 4th grade and 5th grade teams will play 7v7 format. Teams will have no less than 11 players and no more than 13.
- 6th grade teams will play 9v9 format. Teams will have no less than 14 players and nor more than 16.
- 11v11 teams will have no less than 17 players and should have no more than 22.
Team Selection Objectives
The primary objectives with team selection and player placement include:
- Every player shall be given the opportunity to tryout.
- No player is guaranteed a position on a travel team.
- The team will be newly selected each June for the following Fall & Spring seasons.
- Tryouts are not mandatory and only players interested in playing on a travel team need attend.
- Every player interested in playing on a travel team MUST be registered online for FALL soccer and select travel program when registering.
Frequently Asked Questions – FAQ’s
- How are travel teams selected? The tryout data and the written coach’s evaluations are used at the travel team selection meetings as well as player's history and input from coaches present.
- Who picks the travel teams? Prior to the team selection meeting, volunteers must register to coach. All coaches are invited to the selection meeting to participate in an open forum. The first coach on the approved coaches slate picks the first team; the second coach on the list picks the second team. Every player on the list is discussed before the final rosters are selected.
- How are coaches chosen? The coach’s selection committee uses many criteria in selecting coaches: coaching experience, coaching licenses held, coaching clinics attended, playing experience, service to the Club, etc.
- Can the coach who is selecting the team pick anyone? No – he/she must use the metrics provided via the tryout data and the coach’s evaluations. Any coach at the meeting may make a recommendation as to who should be placed on what team. The Girls and Boys Directors have veto power over any selection if they feel that the choice is not justified based on the data provided.
- Are there exceptions to that policy? Yes, if a player missed the tryout, is know to the coaches, then we use coaches written evaluations and verbal feedback from other coaches in that player’s age group to place that player accordingly.
- Why are there no U9 tryouts in the Spring? There are no U9 (3rd grade) travel teams in the Fall. We assign rising Junior Academy players and other players entering Needham Soccer Club randomly onto Fall NSCCL teams. We select one U9 team of each gender for the spring BAYS season.